Match Report -
Celtic FA Curse strikes again
By Iain Benson

Celtic crashed out of the FA Cup against a superbly marshalled defence against which Celtic had no key to unlock them. Despite creating the vast majority of the chances, there were few real clear cut chances, and two former Celtic strikers sent Guiseley through to the next round.

After Lee Ellington's header was excellent tipped away by Jan Budtz, Lloyd Ellams got the best chance of the half for Celtic, striking a sweet layoff from Phil Marsh towards goal, curling away from Steve Drench in the Guiseley goal the ball smacked against the post and flew across the face of goal, and was hooked clear by Dave Merris.

Lee Ellington was left unmarked at the back post and Alex Davidson nodded on Simon Baldry's ball, lifting it over Jan Budtz and Joel Bembo-Leta for Ellington to nod down and give Guiseley a deserved lead.

Celtic attacked in numbers if not with pace, Marsh laying off to Connor Jennings as Celtic piled into the box, and Jennings struck with his weaker foot into the side netting. A strike from Lloyd Ellams hit Jennings when it looked certain to nestle in the back of the net, and Greg Wilkinson fired the rebound over the bar.

Despite the Celtic pressure, Guiseley cantered to a half time lead.

The second half saw Guiseley continue to absorb Celtic's attacks, well marshalled there was no way through. Joel Bembo-Leta burst into the box and tried a near post effort that Drench got down well to, and Danny Ellis got in between Lloyd Ellams's effort and goal conceding the corner that came to Marsh on the second attempt, lifted over the defence by Ellams, but Marsh's screwed shot was wide.

Guiseley should have gone two up with their third attack of the game just before the hour mark when Joe O'Neill beat the offside trap to go one-on-one with Budtz, but there was no way past for the former Celtic striker. Craig Hobson, on for Lloyd Ellams, smacked a low drive that Drench reacted superbly well to, beating away the shot, and Drench was there again reacting to a close range effort from Marsh, Jennings tried to lift the ball over Drench, but Drench reached up well as the game headed into stoppage time.

With Celtic pushing forward, aware that they might as well lose 2-0 and go for an equaliser, space opened up at the back for O'Neill to steal and force Budtz into a decent stop before another breaks away gave O'Neill his third chance, and this time he took it.

Guiseley relaxed with the cushion, and that was a mistake. Celtic's pressure continued, and after Drench had to athletically block Mitchell Austin's powerful drive, Craig Hobson nodded the ball over Michael Burns for Marsh to grab a consolation back for Celtic with a spectacular overhead kick.

It has to be said, Guiseley were probably the most well drilled team to visit the Fold this season, they created very few chances, and took them well to continue on in the FA Cup, whilst Celtic seemed unable to break them.

1Drench, Steve  
2Ainge, SimonYellow Card 
3Merris, DaveYellow Card 
4Toner, Ciaran  
5Ellis, Danny  > 76
6Bower, Mark  
7Baldry, Simon  
8Clarke, Jamie  
9Ellington, Lee  > 81
10Davidson, Alex  > 45
11Rothery, Gavin  
12Davidson, Peter  
14Burns, Michael  < 76
15Allot, Gavin  < 81
16ONeill, Joe  < 45
17Booker, James  
18Giles, Jacob  
Match Sponsor
Celtic Curry Day
Ball Sponsor
Man of the Match Sponsor
0161 338 2828