Match Report -
Celtic Loss Away At Whitby
By Debbie Taylor

Celtic had a rude awakening at the seaside, with three second half goals reflecting the balance of play in the game.

The first half saw Celtic still on the coach for twenty minutes, Whitby starting faster, and stronger. Both sides had early chances that didn't trouble goalkeepers, Jake Charles for Celtic firing down Shane Bland's throat, and James Risborough doing the same at the other end. The opening goal will have been a disappointment to the back line that repelled Nantwich only days before, a long ball over the top towards the right corner flag, Kieran Weladji the first one there, one-on-one with Joe Slinn and he slotted it across him.

Weladji could have made it two, Slinn scrambling across to keep hold of the ball, and then Celtic started to play like the previous Saturday. The ball was moved quickly, Greg Wilkinson picking out Aaron Burns with an inch perfect pass. Burns used his strength to hold off the Whitby centre backs, and picked his spot to curl it past Bland.

Celtic should have pressed on, but couldn't really repeat the feet. Burns was through only to be denied by some brave keeping, Wilkinson coming the closest with a shot that cleared the bar by millimetres.

The second half saw Celtic undone within minutes of the restart. The goal was identical. Down the left channel, this time David Carson the first to it, one-on-one with Slinn and he slotted it past him. If the defence were disappointed with the first goal, they will have been dismayed by the second.

Celtic did have a spell after the goal that was promising. Oli Roberts had a cracker of a dipping shot well saved by Bland, Jake Charles rode challenges and stung Bland's hands and Burns turned a Matthew Wolfenden cross wide with his flicked header. Wolfenden also went close after some good build up play from fellow sub, Gary Gee put him into the box.

However, despite that, Whitby were looking stronger, first to loose balls, closing down and pressing all over the park, and that resulted in Celtic being totally undone in the last five minutes. Risborough's low cross was turned into his own net by Alex Honeyball, although he denied Weladji the goal, who would have got it, had Honeyball not. And then, deep into stoppage time, Carson was left too much space in front of goal and allowed to pick his spot, and casually placed the ball in it.

1Bland, Shane  
2Martin, Callum  
3McWilliams, Daniel  
4Blythway,, Luke  
5Bullock, Lee  
6Snaith, Syeven  
7Carson, David  
8Gell, Adam  
9Weledji, Kieran  
10Tymon, Matthew  > 86
11Risborough, James  > 87
12McGoldrick, Nial  < 86
14May, Andrew  
15Roberts, Michael  < 87
16Fryett, Karl  
17Hume, Anthony