Match Report -
Celtic concentrating on the league
By Iain Benson
Celtic exited the Trophy after gifting two goals in a game that should have seen Celtic out of sight by half time, after dominating for large periods and creating the better chances.

The game started at full pace, with a piece of magic from Dave Hankin opening the scoring, cutting inside, riding the challenges, before curling a shot that took a small deflection off Joe O'Neill's back past a stranded Mark Osborn. Celtic then set up and missed chance after chance, Craig Hobson heading a corner over, Joe O'Neill's close range effort well stopped by Osborn both off corners, Peyton blasting the rebound from O'Neill's shot over the bar. Some good feet from Hobson have him the space to shoot, but Osborn was again well placed, to gather in, and when Hobson beat the keeper his thunderous shot whistled an inch past the upright. At the other end, Corby seemed unable to find the target when they did get an opportunity, mainly from set pieces. Shaun Diggin and Steve Towers both blazing over from close range off corners, with the best effort coming from Brett Solkhon, firing low and hard with Dave Carnell at full stretch to clasp it.

The second half saw Corby let back into the game. After a corner had been put out to Warren Peyton requiring a top notch save, Corny came away, and though Graeme Law gained control at the back, a poor back pass allowed Shaun Diggin to latch onto the ball, and slide it round an advancing Carnell. A close range effort from Solkhon saw Carnell show off his handling, and at the other end Osborn had to be alert as Michael Carr nipped in at the near post to try and divert Hobson's cheeky low cross in at the near post. With Richard Battersby and Joe O'Neill both failing to hit the target off set pieces, when the Celtic defence failed to clear the ball in their own box, allowing Corby several attempts, it was inevitable that one would sneak through, and it was David Deeney who got the telling touch. A wicked cross from Hankin was inches away from both Hobson and O'Neill, as Celtic looked to get a quick reply.

O'Neill had a good shout for a penalty turned down as he was wrestled to the floor inside the six yard box by Solkhon off a corner, but had somehow still managed to turn the ball goalwards, only for the penalty to be denied, and Osborn to make the save. Osebi Abadaki was brought on for Graeme Law as Celtic went more attacking, and he carved himself several opportunities, but failed to hit the target as time began to run out for Celtic. With seconds left on the clock, Andy Smart tried a speculative effort from forty yards, plenty of pace and power, but over.

So Corby have helped Celtic ease their fixture worries by removing Celtic from the competition and go on to face York or Newport, who drew.

1Osborn, Mark  
2Deeney, David  
3Watt, PhilipYellow Card 
4Gulliver, Phil  
5Hope, Chris  
6Towers, Steve  
7Strachan, Gavin  
8Solkhon, Brett  
9Diggin, Steve  > 85
10Mettam, Leon  > 90
11Mayo, Paul  
12Jaszczun, Anthony  
14McGhee, Jamie  < 85
15Lee, Jason  < 90
16Bowles, Brian  
17Cross, Tom