Match Report -
Scrappy game
By Iain Benson
There will be suspensions aplenty coming up for both teams after a scrappy game that saw neither team play particularly well, but saw an unbeaten Guiseley the more clinical of the two.

A pass out of defence to Andy McWiliams lacked the pace to reach him, and Liam Needham nipped in and took the ball, McWilliams loosing his footing as he turned to chase, but Needham was well away and his pass to former Celtic front man, Joe O'Neill, was inch perfect, and O'Neil didn't disappoint with a good finish from fifteen yards that left Jan Budtz no chance.

Celtic looked for an early reply, with Callum Warburton playing in Phil Marsh to run one on one with Stephen Drench in the home goal, with Drench saving well to his left, pushing the ball out for a corner that Kristian Platt headed over, whilst Greg Wilkinson's eighteen yard effort was a simple catch.

Things went downhill rapidly for Celtic, who already looked disjointed, when Warburton challenged Warren Peyton heavily James Wallshaw ran over to square up to Warburton. Stupidly, Warburton pushed Wallshaw who went to ground, leaving the referee no alternative but send Warburton off.

Guiseley made use of their man advantage and pressed the Celtic goal, with Jan Budtz saving well from O'Neill's feet after Guiseley had spread the play well to get O'Neill in.

The second half started with controversy. Warren Peyton's free kick looked a certain catch for Budtz until Wallshaw steamed in and pushed the Celtic keeper out of the way of the ball and the free kick went into the back of the net. When the referee let it stand, Lee Elam and Jan Budtz picked up bookings for remonstrating.

Even at man and two goals down, Celtic weren't out of it, and Connor Jennings was unlucky to see his curling edge of the box strike smack the crossbar, and Marsh got half a yard to take a strike, only for Drench to stand up well and and pull off the save.

After a foul by Glenn Rule which saw a ragtag wall facing him, Warren Peyton was unlucky when his free kick struck the woodwork and was cleared, before the sides were evened up with the wrong player being sent off. A foul on Rule by Rothery saw players swarm over to the tunnel, and in the ensuing melee, the referee decided that Darren Stamp, who had only been on the field two minutes was heavily involved, and sent him off, despite being thirty yards away from the crowd.

Celtic were down to nine men when Elam's clumsy challenge on Ryan Toulson on a counter-attack left him seeing his second yellow, and though Connor Jennings cut inside and forced Drench into a diving save, it was Guiseley who struck again, Joe O'Neill racing past McWilliams and unselfishly pulling the ball back for the unmarked Liam Needham, who calmly side-footed home Guiseley's third. It could have, and perhaps should have, been four when Peyton got his free kick on target, but Kristian Platt stretched his neck to send the ball over the bar.

With only seconds left on the clock, Celtic countered with Guiseley committed forward and Connor Jennings raced in on Drench, drew him and slotted the ball past him into the far corner to salvage a little bit from a game to forget.

1Drench, Steven  
2Toulson, Ryan  
3Merris, Dave  
4Peyton, Warren  
5Ellis, Danny  
6Ainge, SimonYellow Card 
7James, Matty  > 66
8Boshell, Danny  > 78
9Oneill, Joe  
10Wallshaw, JamesYellow Card > 64
11Needham, Liam  
12Fitzgerald, Jerome  
14Sharry, Luke  < 78
15Stamp, DarrenRed Card < 64
16Rothery, GavinYellow Card < 66
17Scarsella, Dave