Match Report -
Freaky game sees Celtic exit the trophy
By Iain Benson

Lincoln didn't need help from the officials to win as they were better than a lacklustre Celtic, but they got it anyway to help them to a seemingly comprehensive 5-1 win.

Conal Platt got off the game's first shot from the edge of his former team's box, but it lacked power, unlike Marlon Jackson's header that saw debutant keeper, Aaron Jameson, fly across his goal and claw the ball away. Jameson was in action again just seconds later as Jackson cut inside a completely wrong footed Andy McWilliams to bear down one-on-one with Jameson. The Sheffield Wednesday loanee keeper made a great initial shot, but Jackson controlled the rebound well and opened the scoring.

Just three minutes later, and the home side were two up thanks to a very harsh penalty decision. Joel Bembo-Leta was twisted into a heap in the floor by Jackson's tricks and turns, and while on the floor, Jackson's shot struck Bembo-Leta on the arm, the arm propping him on the floor. A booking and a penalty was harsh. Alan Power stepped up and sent Jameson the wrong way.

Seven minutes later and it was three, with the best of the home side's goals, but it was still a mistake from Celtic, Kristian Platt's sliced clearance falling nicely to Jackson to set up Power for his second.

Conal Platt had Celtic's best chance of the half coming onto Sean McConville's free kick and forcing Paul Farman into his own real save of the match, conceding half of Celtic's corners, that Celtic couldn't force anything from.

There could have been a chance for Celtic in the second half, if they could have got an early goal, but instead, another freaky goal put paid to any chance Celtic had. Alan Power's free kick crossed into the box was missed by defenders and attackers alike, to nestle into the bottom corner of the net. Power looked almost apologetic in acknowledging the accolades for his hat-trick.

Celtic did pull a goal back when Obi Anorou attempted to roll around Nat Brown in the box, only for Brown to hold Anorou, sending him tumbling. With Kristian Platt subbed for Alec Mudimu, Phil Marsh scored his first for the Celts from the spot.

With Lincoln three goals ahead, and in total control, the game was slowed down, with very little action. After Jon Nolan limped off injured, leaving Lincoln down to ten men, Celtic sensed that those last five minutes the score-line could be made more respectable, but could make no inroads, and another freak goal was notched up for the home side. After both sides stopped when Jackson performed a blatant dive in the box and both sides looked towards the referee waiting for the yellow card for the dived, Mamadou Fofana kicked the ball into the unguarded net, and amazingly the goal was given, adding an underserved flourish to the score-line.

Lincoln were more than a match for Celtic and would have won without the bizarre and awful decisions.

1Farman, Paul  
2Miller, Tom  
3Foster, LukeYellow Card > 70
4Brown, NatYellow Card 
5Newton, Sean  
6Fofana, Mamadou  
7Power, Alan  > 60
8Nolan, Jon  
9Sheridan, Jake  
10Jackson, Marlon  
11Sharp, Chris  > 60
12Jordan, Todd  
14Fairhurst, Waide  < 60
15Wright, Nick  < 60
16Gray, Dan  < 70
17Dixon, Bohan