Match Report -
Celtic Win At Home Against Rushall In The Trophy
By Debbie Taylor

Celtic again dominated possession, but unlike the previous Saturday, Rushall were unable to frustrate Celtic, though they did twice take the lead.

It took quarter of an hour for the game to really get going, when caretaker manager, Richard Brodie, worked two openings, forcing Joe Slinn into decent stops both times. Minutes later and hesitant defending and Brodie's quick feet worked him a third chance, this one curled beyond Slinn, cannoning back off the post to Mohmed Hakeem who made no mistake firing into an open goal.

Rushall tried to shut up shop after the goal, and Celtic had to be patient in the build-up, with Liam Dickinson on target but lacking the power to beat Jahquil Hill, and loan signing Jordan Chapell narrowly wide. Alex Honeyball kept a ball at the by-line and pulled it back to the centre of the box where Connor Hughes was arriving, his well-placed volley gave Hill no chance.

Wolfenden forced Hill into another stop as Celtic were in the ascendancy approaching half time, and right before the interval, forced Hill into the save of the match, the rebound coming to Chapell, but just behind him, so he dragged his shot off the keeper's initial save wide.

Celtic continued to be dominant in the second half, Chapell again wide with his early effort, Ross Killock wide off a corner, and then Connor Hughes almost added to his own tally with a shot through the crowd that smacked the opposite post and was scrambled clear. At the other end, a ball in by Joe Hull caused all kinds of problems until eventually Slinn smothered at Danny Waldron's feet. Celtic were looking the more likely to score, with Wolfenden inches away and Hughes's powerful shot taking a wicked deflection wide.

However, a cheaply conceded corner saw Mattis Fonovich's low corner met by the outside of Jordan Sangha's boot into the bottom corner to again give the visitors the lead.

That lead was almost gone seconds later when Hughes broke through and tried his luck beating Hill, but the crossbar denied him. However, it was gone moments later when Kacy Milan Butterfield sliced his clearance for a corner, Hughes took it and substitute Theo Bailey-Jones came in from the edge of the box unhindered to volley in the equaliser.

Ten minutes later, and it was something of role reversal when striker Liam Dickinson's superb curling cross from the wing was met by winger Connor Hughes coming in at the back post to convert and put Celtic into the lead with only minutes on the clock.

Rushall applied a lot of pressure and Celtic had to ride their luck a couple of times in the dying minutes, but Celtic held firm and are through to the next round.

1Hill, Jahquil  
2Duke, Charles  
3Adelekan, AJ  
4Milan Butterfield, Kacy  
5Brodie, Richard  > 65
6Whittall, Sam  
7Waldron, Danny  > 83
8Sangha, Jordan  
9Hull, Joe  
10Fonovich, Mattis  > 73
11Hakeem, Mohmed  
12Wall, Lewis  
14Blake, Tyler  < 83
15Landell, Andre  < 65
16Dell, Dominic  < 73
17Brown, Jonathan