Match Report -
D?j? vu
By Six Yard Sam
Celtic had a repeat of three years ago going out to Workington at the second time of asking. After drawing 0-0 at Bower Fold, Celtic visited Borough Park and despite taking the hosts to extra time, Celtic conceded a late penalty, and a Keeling own goal sealed the tie in Workington's favour.

Celtic were definitely pressuring the Workington goal for the whole of the 120minutes, forcing a whole series of corners out of the hosts, and it was Collin who was forced into making the first save, as Prince found Ellington rushing in, but Collin got down well to smother the stab towards goal. Minutes later, Collin was in action again as Sykes and Prince interchanged before laying off to Garvey who hammered a thirty-five yard drive towards goal forcing a great save from the home keeper. Prince and Ben Smith then interchanged, before Smith fed the ball through to Ellington, Celtic's top scorer managed to turn the ball goal-ward, but it was comfortable stop for Collin.

As the half headed into the last few minutes, it was Workington who got the best chance though, when Logan took the ball from Smith, slid the ball through to Heiniger who found Johnston with a well weighted through ball. One-on-one with Pettinger, the Celtic keeper stayed big, forcing the Workington striker to shoot wide of the mark. Johnston wasn't to be denied, and moments later Logan pulled the ball back to him, and from the edge of the area, he struck a thunderous effort into the back of the net, Pettinger was able to get a hand on it, but couldn't keep it out.

Right before half time, stout defending from Workington again denied Celtic, as Prince won one of several late corners, which was knocked out as far as Garvey, his well struck shot was blocked on route to goal by May.

Workington almost doubled their lead right at the start of the second half, Heiniger crossing the ball, and Henney nodding it just wide of the mark, but it was Celtic who scored next, evening the scores up. Off yet more corners, Prince floated the ball in, it was nodded down, and Price stabbed it through a crowd of Workington legs and into the back of the net. Immediately, Celtic almost doubled their lead. Garvey laying off Prince, but with Collin out of position, May was on hand to block on-route to goal. After a Henney handball just outside the box, Barnard found Haran, but his header was deflected on-route to goal, and the corner couldn't be converted by Garvey. A Smith cross was then inch perfect for Sykes, but his momentum had carried him too close to goal, and his nod back towards Ellington was well read by Collin, plucking it out of the air as Ellington ducked towards it.

Workington started to get more into the game half way into the second half, and Henney had a spectacular twenty-five yard effort saved with an equally spectacular flying save from Pettinger, after some good work from Johnston had worked an opening.

Workington were denied a good shout for a penalty (not as clear cut as the handball in the previous game, though), when Henney burst past Barnard and went down awfully easily under slight pressure from the Celtic defender.

As the game went towards the last quarter of an hour, Celtic were in the ascendancy, and once more forced corner after corner out of the hosts, including a brace of corners after May had to be on hand to deflect Garvey's well struck volley off a corner wide, and Sykes had a chance right at the death, but headed over the bar.

Despite the late pressure, the game went into extra time, and the first period saw Celtic attacking from all angles. A Garvey distance shot forced a great save from the home keeper, before he was called into action moments later as Smith ran into the box and Collin had to take the ball off his feet. Again Sykes got a great chance from a corner, and though the header was on target this time, Collin was well placed to make a simple catch.

The second period of extra time was about Workington. Price backtracked with Henney but couldn't prevent the cross, and Haran had to head wide. The corner in caused a lot of confusion, but eventually substitute Hamilton headed wide of the mark. With just minutes of the second period gone, Henney once again burst into the box, there was even less contact between Henney and Barnard and again Henney went down like he was shot. The referee looked to his linesman, a local man from Whitehaven, who indicated the penalty spot.

Johnston took the penalty, but it was poor, and Pettinger was able to scramble across and block. Johnston stormed in for the rebound; his shot was always going wide, until it his Keeling and looped in past the helpless Celtic keeper.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Celtic went looking for an equaliser, but despite pressure, couldn't find one. With men committed forward, it was always likely Workington would counter, and they did, through Birks, who found substitute Arnison, whose final shot was poor, and into the side netting. It didn't matter. Celtic couldn't find their way through a stubborn Workington defence, and the referee called time.

In a post match interview, the Workington manager admitted that they were under the cosh for long periods of all four halves, but that doesn't matter to them now, they?re through to face Burscough, and Celtic are not.