Match Report -
Chester City FA Cup
By Keith Trudgeon

Chester escaped a possible upset as they clawed their way back from a goal down to beat Celtic and reach the third round for the first time in three years.

Wing-back Andy Scott sent the majority of the 3,312-strong crowd wild with a quite sensational goal after only 8 minutes. It started when he won possession on the left flank and I don't think the ball touched the ground until it fell into the back of the net. He somehow managed to chip the ball over two Chester defenders when he was seemingly off-balance before sending it flying over the keepers head with the outside of his left boot. Amazing stuff.

The league's bottom club were rocked as Celtic dominated the rest of the first half. But, seconds before the whistle blew for half-time, Chester equalised and it turned the game completely. Chester were awarded a free-kick on the right and Matt Doughty swung it in for Jonathon Cross to poke home.

Celtic kept going but couldn't find a way through and on 69 minutes, pacy striker Luke Beckett headed Chester into the lead. Celtic became desperate and threw Martin Filson on up-front for the final quarter of an hour in a last gasp attempt to salvage at least a replay.

Chester hung on as Celtic upped the pressure but they still couldn't find the equaliser, and in the last minute, Celtic's powerhouse midfield man Kevin Parr was sent-off for a late challenge to put an end to the home-team's hopes.

But, in the end, Celtic did us proud and left the fans with high hopes for the rest of the campaign.

However, all is not lost as there is still a chance they may go through. Let us try to explain. Man United's withdrawal from this season's competition has left an odd number of teams for the third round draw - 63 in total. That 63rd team will have a home tie against one of the 20 second round losers, who will go into the hat once all the ties have been completed (i.e. after the replays next week). So there is a good chance it will be Celtic.