Match Report -
Celtic lose out to Worksop
By Iain Benson
Celtic came away from Nottinghamshire with nothing, despite creating more chances than the hosts.

Those chances started early in the first half, with Barlow's fleet-footed running down the flank causing Nicholson no end of problems, and forcing Staton into a corner with a whipped in cross. Maxfield took to attempts to get the ball into the back post where both Ellington and Hume headed wide. Barlow was brought down by Staton as he cut inside, but when Prince's free kick fell to Flynn after a poor clearance, he was too surprised to react, and Worksop hacked it clear.

Prince found some space with some neat footwork and fired in a dipping curling shot that Ratcliff did very well to get down and parry. With Ellington bearing down, the keeper did well to smother. A long throw from Flynn was flicked on by Hume towards goal, again the keeper smothered under the attentions of Ellington. Prince won a corner after running out of space, Flynn got great contact on the ball, but it flew wide of the mark.

Worksop's first foray into the Celtic half resulted in a goal. Jarman's initial shot was blocked on route to goal by Maxfield, the ball spinning out to Froggartt, who smacked a hopeful shot that looked to be going wide until it hit Sykes and deflected into the goal leaving Bishop stranded hopelessly out of position.

Worksop should have been two up moments later when Jarman got onto a near post header, flicking it over Bishop where it thudded against the inside of the post, and was cleared off the line by Flynn. A needless corner conceded by Maxfield caused consternation inside the Celtic box, relieved when Jackson screwed his shot from the edge of the box wide.

Celtic started to reassert their dominance, and a long throw from Flynn was half cleared by Staton to Prince at the edge of the box, his returning volley was only just over the bar. Staton just about beat Hume to a looping ball over the defence from Krief, putting the ball narrowly wide of his own post in what would have been a sensational own goal. From the corner, Maxfield whipped it to the back post, Ratcliff scrambled across, but not far enough as Barlow got the final touch on the ball to stick it into the back of the net for the equaliser.

Celtic were causing all kinds of problems for Worksop with Flynn's distance throws, and Barlow picked it up aiming for goal but Thompson got in the way, the ball coming out to Winn whose shot was headed off the line by Staton. Ellington could have given Celtic the lead at half time after Nicholson was well and truly beaten by Barlow, the whipped cross hitting Ellington on the wrong side of his nose, putting it the wrong side of the post. The ball could have gone anywhere, but it went wide. Prince too had a chance just before the whistle when he latched onto Hume's nod down screwing a low shot towards the bottom corner, but Ratcliff did well to get down and smother.

Worksop started the half well, and forced Bishop into an early save with Froggartt heading a plum cross towards the bottom corner. Another long throw from Flynn again caused problems for Worksop, Hume's flick on coming to Prince who forced Ratcliff into a good save that he then had to smother as Ellington steamed in. Krief fouled Dawson just outside the Celtic box, but the free kick from Jarman was poor and straight at Bishop.

Jarman got another chance moments later when Dawson's ball in saw Bishop come off his line to punch away, but Jarman got there first looping his header over Bishop and into the goal to restore Worksop's lead. Worksop were then handed a chance to extend their lead when Jarman beat the offside trap to chase a ball that was going out of play. Bishop came off his line and was harshly adjudged to have brought Jarman down. Fortunately, Jarman's penalty was very poor, soft and straight down the middle, hoping that Bishop would dive out of the way; instead he just plucked it out of the air.

Celtic upped the pressure as the game went towards the final whistle. Ratcliff came for a loose ball just inside the box, but Krief beat him to it, but saw his goal-bound effort blocked on the line by Robinson. Though Celtic pressed and pressed, and forced Worksop into some desperate defending, they could not find a late equaliser, and Worksop took the three points to leapfrog Celtic in the league.