Match Report -
Clash of the Celtics round two
By Iain Benson
It wasn't a classic match by any stretch of the imagination, delayed by seventy minutes due to the referee being caught up in a bad accident on the A1. It was another defensive mistake that allowed the three points to slip away.

The first shot on target didn't come until half way into the first half when Stamer broke free to take a shot that Bishop saved well. At the other end, Ellington was fouled twice in quick succession around the edge of the box, with nothing given. Both sides continued to probe with neither side really threatening until a Maxfield cross was headed across the face of goal by Hume, Ellington chased it down with Morgan in the Farsley nets coming across to block the hooked shot. The parry looped to the centre of the goal where Barlow and Knowles both went for the ball, Barlow winning out, and nodding the ball into the back of the net.

Sugden got a chance to equalise when Sykes's header fell into his path, but he hurried his shot and got very little power on it to trouble Bishop. Just before half time, and Bambrook headed a long throw away from the danger area only for Brodie to get there and hook the ball over his shoulder narrowly clearing the bar. Hume, too, got a good chance off a corner won by Ellington, but he planted his header wide of the mark.

Farsley came out in the second half looking for the equaliser and a game of head tennis inside the Celtic box as Celtic tried to clear, and Farsley kept knocking it back in before Knowles lobbed a shot narrowly wide of the upright.

A cross in by Black saw Barlow's shot deflected past the post for a corner, it came to Ellington who turned his marker superbly, but put his shot over the bar. Reeves was brought on to replace Bambrook and his first taste of action was to turn Flynn and force a good save out of Bishop. The visiting defence let their concentration slip for just a moment with a poor headed clearance falling to Midgley, unmarked at the edge of the box, and his snapped shot left Bishop no chance as it flew into the top corner.

Parr had been brought on for the injured Krief, and he managed to clip two different players and pick up two yellow cards inside the ten minutes he was on the field, earning him an early bath. It wasn't obvious that Celtic only had ten men, and Hume could have nicked it in the final throw of the game, when a superb chip from Barlow stranded Morgan. With Serrant coming across to block Hume's header, Hume tried to guide it into the opposite corner, and the ball bounced narrowly wide. Into stoppage time and Farlsey could have nicked it twice, with Dunne smashing a shot into the side netting, and Reeves lacking the power in his shot to trouble Celtic's new keeper.