Match Report -
Celtic Home Loss To Telford
By Debbie Taylor

Telford ran out winner by two goals, against a Celtic side that looks to have little fight left in them. There were brief spells of brightness for the home side, but in general, they appear resigned to the drop.

Both keepers were warmed up early on with tame shots from Danny Wilkins and Lee Hughes at either end, with Celtic seemingly content to try and contain the visitors. Telford were unable to break down the Celtic defence through open play, but had a range of set pieces in their locker, including the dangerous long throws from Ben Bailey reaching well into the six yard box with accuracy. This led to first Zak Lilly flicking one over Grant Shenton, but crashing off the bar, and then Lee Hughes turning in a half clearance that Connor McCarthy put back in, but seeing the offside flag raised. Just before the interval, Celtic's best chance of the half came when Porya Ahmadi got free, but a last ditch deflection resulted in a corner only, and Matty Hughes could only head that into the side netting.

The second half started in the same vein, a long throw from Bailey put out for a corner, and McCarthy's corner delivered right into the mix. Celtic couldn't clear their lines and Bailey's stooping header took a deflection off Darren McKnight's knee to take it past Shenton.

Celtic had nothing to lose, and had a brighter spell. The lack of a cutting edge up front once again told. Adam Mather went close with a drilled shot from outside the box, but Telford took advantage of the stretched Celtic side, McCarthy reaching the by-line keeping the ball in amid the sand and pulling the ball back to the unmarked and in space John Marsden at the edge of the box. Marsden had all the time in the world to pick his spot and fire into the bottom corner. It could have been three moments later when Danny Westwood turned on the spot inside the six yard spot and fired home, but again, the offside flag was up.

With ten minutes to go, Celtic started creating chances, but could not find the back of the net. Danny Pilkington forced Callum Burton into his first real save of the match, a diagonal shot that would have crept in at the back post, but Burton, at full stretch, made sure it went out off the far post. Gianluca Havern clumsily bundled Pilkington over at the near post as Burton was about to scoop the ball gifting Celtic a penalty. Pilkington took the penalty himself, but Burton guessed correctly and pulled off a good save.

From just a week ago, when a great escape looked within reach, Celtic are now five wins off safety, the same number we have had in the previous thirty-three games and with nine games to go relegation is rapidly becoming a certainty.

1Burton, Callum  
2Samuels, Dwayne  
3Dielna, Joel  
4Bailey, Ben  
5Havern, Gianluca  
6Fitzpatrick, Joe  
7McCarthy, Connor  > 79
8Jones, EddieYellow Card 
9Hughes, Lee  
10Marsden, John  
11Lilly, Zak  > 65
12Wilson, Josh  < 65
14Westwood, Danny  < 79
15Higham, Luke  
16Hodge, Elliot  
17Cowan, Gavin  
Man of the Match Sponsor
HMG Paints
Programme Sponsor
In Memory Of John Simpson