Match Report -
Celtic set for relegation battle
By Keith Trudgeon

At the moment, Celtic are short of just one thing - a decent team. We were once so invincible at home, now we can't even score, let alone win. It seems that our form is not the only thing we have lost, the team spirit and will-to-win was nowhere to be seen either. And unless we get hold of a big centre forward who can cause the opposition's defence some problems, then I don't see things improving.

In actual fact, the score-line flattered Celtic. Marine could, and should, have won by a bigger margin except for some breathtaking saves by Gary Ingham.

Celtic had the better of the opening exchanges but when a cheeky little lob from Dave Gamble was brilliantly turned over by Ingham, Celtic knew they had a game on their hands. From then on they were never really in it.

Marine, enjoying a remarkable turnaround in their fortunes after a disappointing season last year, played some excellent football in the first half and thoroughly deserved to take the lead, although in truth it was an easy goal from their point of view.

Full credit to Marine, it was a good move, but Celtic should really have prevented them from getting in a shot. However, when the shot came it was a neat side-footed effort from Adriano Rigoglioso which just eluded the outstretched arm of Ingham and rolled into the bottom corner.

Marine doubled their advantage 11 minutes later courtesy of debut-man Robinson who had just come on for the injured Gary Scott. After another flowing move, a cross was played into the far post which was in turn laid off for Robinson who volleyed home from close-range.

The second half was not dominated by either side. Marine had clearly dropped down a gear while Celtic still remained clueless as to how to break down the visitor's defence.

Ingham continued to perform heroics in the Celtic goal and if it wasn't for him Celtic could now be ruing their worst home defeat since the 6-0 reverse against Northwich back in 1993.

Marine clinched the three points 15 minutes from time thanks to some more sloppy defending - Matty Williamson this time the culprit. With Williamson guiding a wasted ball out to safety for a goal kick, John Morgan somehow won the ball from him on the left touch-line, cut inside and slotted the ball beneath the stranded Ingham to firmly keep the pressure on leaders Leigh.

Celtic had the chance to grab a consolation towards the end but Eddie Johnston was guilty of a terrible miss when he blasted well over from all of six yards.

Celtic now desperately need a win against Runcorn on Tuesday or the wheels will well and truly have fallen off Celtic's season.