Match Report -
Classy Celtic Crush Trinity
By Iain Benson
Celtic got revenge for the early season defeat at Gainsborough and set themselves up nicely for Saturday's clash with Workington in the FA cup. Apart from a fifteen minute period at the end of the first half, Celtic never looked in any danger.

Celtic started very brightly, peppering the Trinity box with crosses that resulted in a couple of corners and free kicks. From a half cleared corner early in the match, the ball came back to Roca, he made some space with a quick darting run, twenty-five yards out, he took a swerving, dipping shot that deflected slightly off Ellis just enough to put it beyond Reid, the Trinity keeper, into the bottom corner. Roca repeated the trick, weaving and dodging, again his shot took a deflection, but this time Reid caught.

Hall and Ellington linked up well before Ellington lined up the shot, a sliding block from Anson denied him. Celtic just kept coming, and Ellington fed Roca with a well weighted ball, he struck it first time, again a deflection, this time for a corner. A sixty yard pass from Roca was right into Barlow's stride, he controlled it well, cut inside into the box and shot low across the face, requiring a smart stop from Reid. The corner was half cleared by Pell as far as Davies, whose shot back in was deflected for another corner. Trinity were rocking, and Barlow could have doubled Celtic's lead when Hall got behind the static defence and fired a powerful cross through the box, but Barlow couldn't reach it and it flashed across the face.

Trinity's first effort was when Mallon got a yard of space at the corner of the box, and fired in a powerful shot that Gamble saved well with a smart block. If anything, the shot galvanised Celtic into a higher gear. Ellington picked the ball up in the middle of the park, raced half the length of the field, cut the ball back for Barlow who curled it first time past Reid to double Celtic's lead. It could have been three when Winn's clever ball to Roca gave him the space he needed for a shot, but he put it over the bar.

Celtic started sitting deep, inviting Gainsborough on to them, and Trinity obliged. A Garner foul on Callery was floated to the penalty spot, where Pell was sneaking in unmarked to nod powerfully into the bottom corner, halving the deficit. Celtic were struggling to get back into gear, and McMahon tried a hopeful distance shot, which whistled just wide of the post. Haran fouled Hall just outside the Celtic box, Ellis snuck in unmarked, but this time headed over. A perfectly good looking sliding tackle from Davies was penalised, and the free kick was well struck, forcing Gamble into a block, and smart catch as McMahon came in for the loose ball.

Celtic's lead was still intact at half time, and they came out looking fired up. Along throw was well defended, but Winn lifted it back into the mix and Ellis dragged Haran to the ground and then lay on him inside the box. Barlow elected to take the penalty, and sent Reid the wrong way to restore Celtic's two goal cushion from the spot. Celtic never looked back. Winn was scythed down by Anson just outside the box; Davis took the free kick, just clipping the edge of the wall to divert it narrowly wide. From the corner, Roca worked a routine that saw him run with the ball into the box, and fire over the bar.

Dudgeon conceded a corner at the other end, and it required a good save from Gamble, and he had to be back on his feet to block again as Smith latched onto the loose ball.

Again it reminded Celtic not to sit on their laurels and hardly a minute had passed before Celtic were racing up the field, Ellington held off Ellis's attentions and slid the ball into the path of Burbeary (on for Roca), who made no mistake sweeping his first touch into the back of the net.

An intelligent ball from Davies freed Barlow to chase it the half the length of the field, he cut it straightaway inside to Ellington who saw Hall completely unmarked, and unselfishly Ellington put the ball in his path to smack home Hall's first goal with his foot in a sublime volley.

Gainsborough could have been forgiven for giving up, but they kept going, and in the dying seconds Mallon wriggled free of Keeling to force Gamble into another fine save from close range. From the corner, Gamble punched clear and as it came back in, smothered it to ensure the score line maintained a healthy and reflective 5-1.

The final score reflected the balance of play. Gainsborough were simply outclassed in all departments.

Match Sponsor
Thornleys solicitors
Ball Sponsor
Sense Financial
Man of the Match Sponsor
Stepan UK
Programme Sponsor
Gareth Cross