Match Report -
A footballing lesson
By Iain Benson
Celtic were taught a hard lesson against a quick and forthright Droylsden side that took no prisoners.

In the opening few minutes, it looked like a great game would be in prospect, with Sykes and Ellington linking up well in front of goal ? both going narrowly wide, and Prince getting an early shot off that Phillips handled well.

Things started to go wrong for ?Bridge when Maxfield gave away a soft free kick stopping Denham's run. It was the cue for a series of corners from the home side. From one of the corners, Morris found himself at the back post and nodded the ball into the net. Droylsden never looked back and Celtic never looked at the races.

Celtic did attempt a fight back, but couldn't get their act together, and Maxfield was lucky the referee allowed play on after Maxfield earned the yellow card for his earlier soft foul with a full blooded body check on Denham, but he escaped without even a talking to. Banim took on the ball and missed an rounded Pettinger, only to miss an empty net. During one of Celtic's best moves of the match, involving Sykes, Ellington and finally Prince, Celtic could have equalised, but Prince's low driven shot was saved well by Phillips.

Droylsden then added a double blow to Celtic. Another free kick and Tandy stepped up to take it. He whipped a fast curling shot around the wall and into the bottom corner just beyond Pettinger's reach. Straight after kick off, Celtic lofted the ball to the wing and out, Droylsden took the throw quickly, moved the ball up the field, and Fearns beat his man, saw Pettinger advancing, and lobbed both Haran and Pettinger to score his first, and Droylsden's third.

If anybody thought that the second half would see a Celtic come back, they were wrong. Sykes and Maxfield were replaced for they were on yellow cards, with Kay and Parton coming on. Again Celtic started better, but soon Droylsden were rampant again, and when Banim burst past Haran, and Haran slid along side him to poke the ball out for a goal kick, there was sufficient contact, for the referee to award a penalty. Fearns stepped up, and though Pettinger went the right way, he didn't get far enough.

Celtic were floundering and shot shy, and it was no surprise when Fearns was put through by Tandy to go one-on-one with Pettinger and fire his shot across the Celtic keeper to further dampen his night.

Brodie, up against his former team mates, worked a bit of space and put an inch perfect pass to the feet of Ellington ? it was the best ball he?d received all night, and he turned Burke before slotting a ball into the bottom corner to earn Celtic a consolation goal.

Droylsden pulled the ball into a corner, with Denham and Fearns shielding, more and more Celtic players were drawn in, before Denham erupted from the crowd and blasted a shot past Pettinger into the top corner to complete the rout.

On this showing Droylsden fully deserved their six goals, and something needs to be done to get Celtic back onto an even keel again. With Celtic's inconsistent away form, and another away game coming on Saturday against Barrow, Celtic have a lot of work to do. After Celtic had thrashed Hyde in the FA Trophy last season, it turned their season around ? it can only be hoped that this similar thrashing inspires Celtic to better things.