COVID-19 Policy - please click here
Match Report -
Parr for the course
By Debbie Taylor

Surprisingly nobody managed a hat-trick in this one-way event.

Both teams started brightly enough, with some crisp passing by both teams, but with Gainsborough eager in midfield for the ball, pressing early and hard whenever Celtic tried to settle. Nevertheless, it was Celtic who put their noses in front, when Derek Ward dropped a ball at McNeil's feet between the Steve Curry the Trinity 'keeper and Neil Allison the centre back. Neither went for the ball, allowing McNeil to slam it into the back of the net.

Sullivan caused problems for the visitors all afternoon, with some pin-point crossing and blistering runs. Before another ten-minutes had passed, Parr got on the end of a Sullivan cross to thump a well-taken header past Curry.

Trinity settled a little after this, putting most of the play into the Celtic third of the field, maintaining possession. The 498 fans watching were expecting a Trinity goal, to give them a boost before half-time. What they didn't expect, along with the Gainsborough team, was a break-away move, started by Filson, culminating in Evans poaching the ball off the last defender, and slotting home to chants of "Dodgy Keeper".

The pressure Trinity had been building nearly fizzled out, but for a hopeful bobbling shot from Paul Watts that Ingham misjudged, allowing it to roll gently into the net.

The reply was almost instantaneous, as straight from the kick off, the ball found it's way to Parr, who saw his shot saved by Curry.

The second half saw a dominant Celtic. A substitution by Trinity at the end of the first half appeared to have left them unaware of who should play where.

First Evans took advantage, by breaking through a hesitant defence, and placing his shot in the opposite corner to the one Curry expected it to go into. Then Sullivan forced a corner, with more dazzling wing work, which he promptly took, finding the head of Dominic Crookes. His shot ricocheted off both Curry, the post and Charles, before ending up in the net.

If anybody had thought that Celtic would rest on a four goal lead, they were wrong. Persistence by McNeil in the middle of the park, fed to terrier like Evans on the left, who lofted the ball across the box, where Sullivan performed a bicycle kick volley to send the ball past the hapless Curry. The Trinity defence had to be held in question how neither player had any marking when the received the ball.

With a five goal lead, Wilson decided to rest Jones, Pickford and Locke, shoring up the midfield with Scott, Williamson and Green. This nullified any response Trinity could have made, and added fresh legs to run the visitors ragged for the last quarter of an hour. With Celtic holding the ball near the Trinity by-line, corners were inevitable. Parr claimed his second from another Sullivan special.

Simon Drayton finished the game off with a half-hearted shot that showed just how down the Trinity players were. Ingham collected it easily.

Trinity had some good spells of possession, but they lacked ideas, and it looked as though the defence had never played together before. Unsurprisingly, Gainsborough have sacked their manager.

Main club sponsor
Dream Bi-Folding Doors Official Shirt Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Warm-up Kit Sponsor
Mulgrew Haulage - Official Warm-up Kit Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Site Sponsor
MG Domestic - Official Site Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Hospitality Providers
Bower Fold Events - hospitality providers